Hike on mount Carmel, at the location where Elijah confronted the Baal false prophets. Enjoy great views on the Jezreel valley below and visit the Carmelite Monastery of St Elijah
|Level||Easy - Moderate|
|Best||Nov - April|
Elijah was one of the important Biblical prophets, who lived during the period of King Ahab and queen Jezebel. Elijah is an important figure to all the main religions (Jews, Christians, Muslims and Druze) as a brave prophet that stood against the might of Kings and false prophets.
Our hike is centered around the famous event on Mount Carmel, where Elijah challenged King Ahab and the prophets of the Canaanite deity, the Baal.
- Our Hike starts at the parking of the Muhraka (1).
- Walk a few meters down the road and look for a trail with ‡Red‡ markers heading left into the forest.
- Follow this ‡Red‡ trail for 1 kilometer and enjoy the pleasant shade of the Mediterranean forest, until a junction with a dirt road (2).
- Turn right on the dirt road and continue to follow the ‡Red‡ markers. after about 700 meters you will reach the Karach Ruins.
- Leave the trail and climb a few meters to the top of the hill above the Ruins to get a beautiful view of the Carmel ridge.
- Continue for a bit on the ‡Red‡ marked trail until in junctions with a ‡Black‡ marked dirt road (3).
- Turn left with the ‡Red‡ marked trail and follow it for about 1200 meters along the wadi bed until a junctions with a ‡Black‡ marked dirt road (4).
- At this point the ‡Red‡ marked trail continues down the Wadi. Ignore it, and follow the ‡Black‡ marked dirt road.
- You are now on the “Derech Nof Carmek” (The Carmel view road). It is a 20 Kilometers long dirt road that passes east of the Carmel ridge with great view all along. It is passable also with a passenger vehicles, but is mostly popular with mountain bikers and 4WD.
- Follow it with the ‡Black‡ markers for about 4 kilomerts and enojoy the view. At the beginning to the south and gradually changing to the east.
- When you reach a junction with a ‡Red‡ marked trail (5), turn left and make a short but steep climb to to the Carmelite Monastery of Elijah at the Muhraka.
- Climb the stairs from the left side of the souvenir shop to the observation deck on the roof of the building. The view from here is one of the most impressive on Mount Carmel. To the north we can see the statue of Elijah, which is now at our eye level. To the east, the rocky terrain of Mount Carmel, and Beneath the Jezreel Valley. In the valley, across the main road adjacent to the slopes of the mountain, flows the Kishon stream and at the far end of the valley stands Mount Tabor. The high hills of Samaria. the Mediterranean Sea and mount Hermon can also be seen on a clear day.
- It’s a perfect spot to relax and read/listen to the Biblical story detailed in the introductions of the hike.
- Exit the site and walk down the road to the Muhraka parking (staring point) .
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!