Hike The Ktalav Red Tree Wadi. On the way down enjoy wide open views on the Judean mountain ridges. Then Hike up inside the Ktalav Wadi though the dense forest, dotted with the Reddish Ktalav trees.
|Short versions||N / A|
|Best||Dec - Apr|
|/ Start Point|
- Starting point – parking area near BarBahar restaurant (1).
- This a very popular Cafe/Restaurant (On weekends) with a big outdoor balcony overlooking the mountains.
- Start following the ‡Black‡ marked dirt road parallel to the main road.
- After about 300 m the road will become a footpath and start descending.
- After another 250 m you will arrive to a junction with a ‡Red‡ marked trail (5). Ignore it and continue with the ‡Black‡ markers.
- On your way you will pass Giora Spring (usually dry) and after 600 m you will meet the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marked trail (2).
- Turn left and follow the ‡Blue‡ markers. The trail follows the slope of the Wadi about 100 m above the bottom. After about 2 Km you will arrive to a junction with a ‡Green‡ marker (3).
- Turn right and follow the ‡Green‡ marker. After 100 m you will arrive to an old muslim grave called “Dir a Sheich”. The contrast of the white ruins against the green forest makes a very pretty spot. It is surrounded by fruit trees and spring flowers and makes a great excuse for an extended break.
- Continue for another 800 m on with the ‡Green‡ markers until you meet the bed of the Ktalav Wadi and a junction with ‡Black‡ markers (4).
- The Wadi received its name from the Red Ktalav tree (Arbutus andrachne) that populates its forest.
- Turn right and follow he ‡Black‡ markers up the Wadi.
- It’s a beautiful and fun section. A narrow and dark shaded wadi with occasional rocks to negotiate.
- On your way you pass the Ktalav Spring, that may hold some water during the winter.
- Go up the Wadi for 1.5 Km until you reach the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marked trail (2). Continue further on the ‡Black‡ for another 600 m until the junction with the ‡Red‡ marked trail (5).
- Turn right and follow the ‡Red‡ markers circulating the northern side of the hill, Getting great views of the mountain between the trees from time to time.
- After 650 m you reach a junction with a dirt road and a ‡Black‡ marker. (6)
- Turn left to reach the starting point in 150 m (1)
Get the Detailed Hikings Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!