Turn a “Standard” visit to Masada into a Hiking experience!
Combine your visit to Masada with an exciting hike through the Roman siege camps. Get amazing views of Masada from different directions.
Region – Judea Desert
Distance – 8.5 Km. (Short version 4.5 Km)
Add about 2 Km for tour in Masada
Accumulated Climb – 350 m.
Difficulty – Moderate.
For Private or Public transport directions, use Google Maps –
Masada Eastern Parking
Get the Map & GPS Track for this hike ===>>
To get the most out of this route we suggest to learn a little about Masada and especially about the Roman siege:
- For the short version finish the tour at Masada and decend with the Cable Car.
- Starting point – parking area at Masada National Park (1). (entrance fee required)
- Follow the signs to the “Snake Trail” on an unmarked dirt road for about 500 m until the junction with the ‡Red‡ marker. (2)
- On your right you can see the ruins of a roman siege camp.
- Turn right and follow the ‡Red‡ markers for about 1.3 Km until he junction with the ‡Green‡ marker. (3)
- Turn left and follow the ‡Green‡ markers. You are now on the “Runner Trail”. This trail was used by the Roman messengers (runners) to pass information between the camps.
- You climb steeply about 200 m. As you gain height you get a good view on the northern palace of Masada.
- At the top of the cliff the trail curves left. Continue with the ‡Green‡ markers until you reach the back (West) entrance to Masada. (4).
- Turn left and ascend to Masada on the Ramp trail
- Tour the site and walk down back to (4). (Or decend with the cable care if you choose the short version)
- Turn Left and follow the ‡Red‡ markers into the Masada Wadi.
- After about 750 m you will notice that the Wadi makes a sharp left turn.
- Leave the trail and follow the Wadi shortly until the big dry waterfall.
- Enjoy the dramatic cliff and the great view down to the dead sea.
- Continue with the the ‡Red‡ markers now into a short steep climb to the saddle of Elazar mountain (5).
- Turn left on the ‡Black‡ markers to reach the top of Elazar mountain near the Ruins of the Roman Siege camp H.
- Enjoy the view and imagine the Roman soldiers standing in the same spot.
- The perfect place for a long break.
- Continue for about 1.7 Km with the ‡Black‡ markers down steeply all the way to the starting point (1).
Get FULL QUALITY maps & GPS file for this hike for just 5$
(watch the Video)
- HD Topographic map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- GPS track file for navigations on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
- Zoomed in maps for the sensitive areas of the route.
- Link to an interactive map.
For 5-9 trips in the past 30 days – 20%. For 10 or more trips – 28%. Claim Discount