Our Hike in Wadi Qelt (Ein Prat) will take you through Springs, Pools, deep Canyons, and an old Monastery. If you are not up to a long Hike, use our GuideBook to visit the main attractions of Wadi Qelt without sweating.
|Short versions||1 - 5 Km|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr
(Short version - All year)
|/ Starting Point|
- Important Note: Most of the hike is on rocky terrain. There are some exposed sections equipped with metal handles.
- Starting point – parking area at Ein Prat Natural Reserve (1). (entrance fee required)
- Follow the ‡Blue‡ marker upstream on the road for 200 m to reach Ein Prat (Spring). (2)
- Hanging Up on the southern cliffs high above the valley, you can see the Faran monastery.
- Retrace to the starting point and continue with the ‡Red‡ markers downstream for about 700 m until the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marker. (3)
- Keep right on the ‡Blue‡ marker into the canyon.
- Stay with the ‡Blue‡ markers for about 3.5 Km along the stream until the junction with the ‡Red‡ markers. (4).
- For the short version, walk as long as you feel like along the canyon and retrace your steps.
- This is the most exciting part of the route. The canyon becomes deeper, with many small waterfalls and pools.
- From time to time, you should notice the ruins of ancient aqueducts that carried the water of Ein Prat to Jericho in ancient times.
- At point (4) The ‡Red‡ markers continue downstream all the way to St. George monastery. A distance of about About 12 Km.
- However, we turn left on the ‡Red‡ markers. Cross the stream and climb up on the north ridge of the canyon.
- This trail is much less crowded and offers fantastic Birds-Eye view over the Canyon you just walked!!
- Follow this trail for 3.5 Km back to point (3).
- Continue additional 700 m to reach your car. (1)
- Complement the day with the classic view of St. George Monastery from cliffs on the opposite side of the Canyon.
- Check out the full details in our GuideBook.
- Use the extra maps of the viewpoint area that are supplied together with the detailed hiking map to find your way easily.
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!