A full day exciting Desert hike that has it all!! An exciting ascend to “Hod Akev” (Needle of the Heel), one of the most rewarding view points in the Negev Desert, followed by a visit to “Ein Akev”, a magical desert spring.
|Short versions||11 Km|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
|/ Start Point|
By Bus: Add about 2.5 Km to walk from the station to the trail-head.
- If you choose the Short version, Take a “Jeep Taxi” (Or Google for other “Jeep ride providers in the area”) to point (2) and follow the route from there.
- Starting point – parking area at the bottom of the “serpentine road” (1).
- You will have an easy 6.5 km start on flat dirt roads to point (2).
- Follow the ‡Red‡ marker west until you reach a junction with a ‡Blue‡ marker.
- Turn left and follow the ‡Blue‡ marker trail until you reach the junction with a ‡Black‡ & ‡Green‡ markers.
- Turn right and follow the ‡Green‡ marker trail until you reach the INT (Israel National Trail) junction (2).
- From here, we finally leave the dirt road and turn right following the ‡Red‡ marker trail, now joining the INT. We start an ascent of 250 m to “Hod Akev” (Needle of the Heel). This ascent has a few areas that are very steep and some that are exposed. For those who enjoy this type of hike, this is a fun and exciting section!
- Near the end of the ascent, the ‡Red‡ marker trail bypasses the summit.
- To reach the summit, continue on the ‡Green‡ marker trail. You are now on “Hod Akev” (3) – a fantastic 360 degrees panorama. This is the right spot for an extended break!
- After you absorb the magnificent desert views, descend from the other side until you are back on the ‡Red‡ marker trail. Continue on this trail all the way down until you reach the bottom of the wadi and meet the ‡Blue‡ marker. (this side of the mountain is less steep and the descent is fairly easy).
- Turn left and follow the ‡Blue‡ marker for 200 m to reach “Ein Akev” spring (4).
Another fantastic spot for a long break and swim in the freezing water.
- Continue 100 m on the ‡Blue‡ marker until you reach a junction with the ‡Black‡ & ‡Green‡ markers. You now leave the INT, which continues with the ‡Black‡ marker. Turn right to the ‡Green‡ marker and start climbing. At the end of the climb you reach another fantastic view-point at the Horseshoe (dry) Waterfall (5).
- Continue on the ‡Green‡ marker until you are back at the starting position (1). On the way you will have passed another beautiful view-point ( (6).
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!
If you have still time and energy, don’t miss an amazing local fun activity – SandSurfing!
Read all about it in Israel Best Trips Travel blog.