One of the best view-points on Makhtesh Ramon
A short but tough hike. A steep ascend to the summit of Ardon table shape mountain in the middle of makhtesh Ramon.
Region – Central Negev
Distance – 6.5 Km.
Accumulated Climb – 300 m. (Very steep)
Difficulty – Difficult.
For Private transport directions, use Google Maps –
Ardon day camp parking
Get the Map & GPS Track for this hike ===>>
Important Note: The last 5 Km of your drive to the parking location are on a dirt road. The road is in good condition and is suitable for any private car.
Important Note: The Google Maps location is not your final parking destination. From this point turn right on a dirt road with Blue markers and follow it for 2.1 Km until you see the parking area.
- Crater – A roughly circular depression in the ground usually caused by volcanic activity, impact or explosion.
- Makhtesh – A crater-like formation created by erosion
The word “makhtesh” is the Hebrew word for a Mortar and Pestle. The geological landform was given this name because of its similarity to a grinding bowl.
There are only 7 such craters in the world, all of them located in the Land of Israel(5) and the Sinai desert(2). Of the 5 located in Israel Makhtesh Ramon is the largest. That makes it the largest makhtesh in the world. Over 40 km long, 10 km wide and about 400 m deep.
Further reading on Makhtesh Ramon.
- Starting point – parking area at the foot of Mount Ardon (1).
- The impressive ascend you are about to tackle is clearly seen in front of you!!
- Follow the ‡blue‡ markers. the climb starts gently but soon becomes steep. After 750 m you reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marker at the middle of the climb (2).
- Continue climbing on the ‡blue‡ markers for about 900 m until the Summit (3).
- The perfect spot for an extended break.
The name “Ardon” source is from the bible, 1 Chronicles 2:18 =>
“And Caleb the son of Hezron begat children of Azubah his wife, and of Jerioth: her sons are these; Jesher, and Shobab, and Ardon.”
- Continue on the ‡blue‡ markers now on the edge of the table mountain with the fantastic view of makhtesh Ramon visible all the time. After about 900 m the trail curves right towards the decent (4).
- Start descending very steeply on the ‡blue‡ marker. Caution in required and at some areas you need to scramble.
- After about 1.5 Km you reach a junction with a ‡Green‡ marker. (5) Turn right and follow the ‡Green‡ markers for about 2.5 km on a flat and easy section back to the starting point (1)
Get FULL QUALITY Detailed Hiking Maps & GPS file for this hike for just 5$
(watch the Video)
- Detailed Hiking map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- GPS track file for navigations on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
For 5-9 trips in the past 30 days – 20%. For 10 or more trips – 28%. Claim Discount
Check out thtese additional Things To Do in the Ramon Crater area.