One of the best view-points on Makhtesh Ramon. A short but rewarding hike. An ascent to the summit of Mount Ardon in the middle of Makhtesh Ramon. amazing views of the crater followed by a very steep descent back to the Makhtesh base.
|Short versions||N / A|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
- Starting point – parking area at the foot of Mount Ardon (1).
- The impressive ascend you are about to tackle is clearly seen in front of you!!
- Follow the ‡blue‡ markers. the climb starts gently but soon becomes steep. After 750 m you reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marker in the middle of the climb (2).
- Continue climbing on the ‡blue‡ markers for about 900 m until the Summit (3).
- The perfect spot for an extended break.
The name “Ardon” source is from the bible, 1 Chronicles 2:18 =>
“And Caleb the son of Hezron begat children of Azubah his wife, and of Jerioth: her sons are these; Jesher, and Shobab, and Ardon.”
- Continue on the ‡blue‡ markers now on the edge of the table mountain with the fantastic view of Makhtesh Ramon visible all the time. (A fantastic hiking section) After about 900 m the trail curves right towards the decent (4).
- Start descending very steeply on the ‡blue‡ marker. Caution is required and in some areas, you might need to scramble.
- The next 2 kilometers are unique. On your right is Mount Ardon you just came from. On your left is the “Cone” hill sticking out of the Makhtesh base. On the ground below your feet, is an amazing pallet of colors. The color of the soil is changing every few minutes between Black, Red, Yellow, Brown, and white.
- After about 1.5 Km you reach a junction with a ‡Green‡ marker. (5) Turn right and follow the ‡Green‡ markers for about 2.5 km on a flat and easy section back to the starting point (1)
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$ Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!
Bonus Tip: Check out these additional Things To Do in the Ramon Crater area.