Ascend to the most iconic view-point over the Sea Of Galilee
On the way up visit the ancient Arbel fortress built inside the rock. On the way down visit the ancient Arbel synagogue and hike though the deep Arbel Wadi between the cliffs.
Get the Map & GPS Track for this hike ===>>
- Starting point – parking area at entrance to Hamam village (1).
- Follow the ‡Red‡ marker (Part of the INT)
- At the junction with the ‡Green‡ marker (2)., turn left and continue with the ‡Red‡ markers.
- Climb steadily until you reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marker. (3).
- Our route continues with ‡Black‡ marker, but before we continue we make a short detour to visit the Arbel Fortress.
- The fortification that was carved in to the rocks were built by the Galilean Jews, who barricaded themselves at Arbel in 37 BCE. Herod was sent to suppress the rebellion. His army overcame the rebels only after he had the best of his warriors lowered to the caves in cages suspended by ropes, from which the rebels became convenient targets.
- Walk right, then up the stairs and visit the fortress that is built into the cliff.
- Retrace your stept back to (3) and continue up on the ‡Black‡ markers (Part of the INT) until the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marker at the top of the mountain. (4)
- Follow the ‡Blue‡ markers for 200 m until you reach the “Mul Kinneret” Lookout in memory of the IDF soldier Roei Dror.
- Retrace your steps to (4) and continue on the ‡Black‡ markers for about 100 m to reach the Carob Lookout. The spot is very easy to find. It is under the single lonely Carob tree that can be seen from afar.
- This is probably one of the most photographed views of the Sea of Galilee, and justly so. The perfect spot for an extended break.
- You are now inside the Arbel National Park after you entered it through the back door.
- Continue with the ‡Black‡ markers for 600 m and reach the National Park’s entrance. (5)
- Pay the entrance fee upon exiting, and follow the unmarked paved road for 1.1 Km until you reach a junction with the ‡Green‡ marker and a small parking lot (6).
- Turn left on the ‡Green‡ markers and after a few minutes you will reach the ruins of the ancient synagogue.
- The beautiful ruins of synagogue dates from 4th century CE. It was built from large limestone blocks in the center of the ancient Arbel village. The synagogue is believed to have continued to be use until the 8th century CE.
- Continue on the ‡Green‡ markers and after a few minutes you will cross a paved road and start to descend until you reach the bed of the Arbel Wadi. (7)
- Turn right and continue following the ‡Green‡ markers downstream until you reach the junction with the ‡Red‡ marker where we began the route. (2)
Get Full Quality Detailed Hiking Maps & GPS file for this hike for just 5$
(watch the Video)
- HD Topo map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- GPS track file for navigations on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
- Zoomed in maps for the sensitive areas of the route.
For 5-9 trips in the past 30 days – 20%. For 10 or more trips – 28%. Claim Discount