Ascend to the most iconic viewpoint over the Sea Of Galilee. On the way up visit the ancient Arbel fortress built inside the rock. On the way down, visit the ancient Arbel synagogue and hike down the Arbel Wadi under the cliffs.
|Short versions||N/ A|
|Best||Dec - Apr|
|Possible||Nov - May|
|/ Start Point|
Important Note: The hike is graded as moderate. However, there are several steep and exposed sections with metal handles and ladders.
- Starting point – parking area at the entrance to Hamam village (1).
- start by Following the ‡Red‡ markers (Part of the INT)
- After 400 m, at the junction with a ‡Green‡ marked trail (2)., turn left and continue with the ‡Red‡ markers.
- Climb steadily for 2.4 Km, until you reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marked trail (3).
- Our route continues with ‡Black‡ markers, but before we continue, we make a short detour to visit the Arbel Fortress.
- Walk right, then up the stairs and visit the fortress that is carved into the cliff.
- Retrace your steps back to (3) and continue up with the ‡Black‡ markers (Part of the INT) until the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marker at the top of the mountain. (4)
- Follow the ‡Blue‡ markers for 200 m until you reach the “Mul Kinneret” Lookout in memory of the IDF soldier Roei Dror.
- Retrace your steps to (4) and continue on the ‡Black‡ markers for about 100 m to reach the famous Carob Lookout. The spot is straightforward to find. It is under the single lonely Carob tree that can be seen from afar.
- It is probably one of the most photographed views of the Sea of Galilee, and justly so. The perfect spot for an extended break.
- You are now inside the Arbel National Park after you entered it through the back door.
- Continue with the ‡Black‡ markers for 600 m and reach the National Park’s entrance. (5)
- Pay the entrance fee upon exiting, and follow the unmarked paved road for 1.1 Km until you reach a junction with the ‡Green‡ marked trail and a small parking lot (6).
- Turn left on the ‡Green‡ markers, and after a few minutes, you will reach the ruins of the ancient synagogue.
- Continue on the ‡Green‡ markers, and after a few minutes, you will cross a paved road and start to descend to the wadi. Continue for 700 m until you reach the bed of the Arbel Wadi. (7)
- Turn right and continue following the ‡Green‡ markers downstream until you reach the junction with the ‡Red‡ marker (1.3 Km) where we began the route. (2)
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!
JOIN “ISRAEL BY FOOT” EXPERT LOCAL HIKING GUIDE FOR AN AMAZING DAY IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS
We will climb gradually from the southern, more gentle side of Mount Arbel. Reach the Summit to enjoy a truly spectacular view off the Sea of Galilee, Golan Heights, and Galilee mountains. Then descend via the ancient Arbel fortress and finish the hike at the newly discovered Magdala archaeological site.
|Pickup Locations||2) Nazareth Marry's Well
3) Tiberias Ceasar Premier Hotel
|Price||270 NIS (About 75$)
Discount on 4 or more hikers
|Min. Age||13 years. (Minors must be accompanied by an adult)|
|Schedule||Weekly Between November and April. (Check Availability)|
|Included in price||* Transportation To & From the above mentioned pickup locations.
* Expert Hiking Guide.
|Not included in the price||* Food
* 29 NIS Entrance fee to the Arbel National Park
* 15 NIS Entrance fee to the Magdala Archaeological Park
Click the map to enlarge
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE HIKE:
- Great views on the Sea of Galilee as we walk on the mountain ridge
- Mount Arbel Summit – The “Lonely Carob” view-point (The iconic view on Lake Kinneret!!)
- Hike down the steep cliff and visit The 1st century BCE Arbel fortifications carved inside the mountain.
- Magdala Archaeological Park. A newly discovered and exciting Archaeological site.
- 08:00 – Pickup from Afula
- 08:20 – Pickup from Nazareth
- 09:10 Pickup from Tiberias
- 09:30 – 14:00 8 Km hike of Mount Arbel
- Around noon – Arbel Summit – Lunch break with the Sea of Galilee underneath us.
- 14:00 End of Hike and 10 minutes transfer to Magdala Archaeological Park.
- 14:30 We start driving back to the pickup locations
What to Bring?
Mandatory (You will not be allowed to join the hike without and will not be refunded):
2 liters of water.
Hiking boots or Sneakers. (We highly recommend hiking boots, but will accept also sneakers).
- Sandals not allowed!
Snacks and Lunch
Dry-fit shirt as a base layer
On rainy days - Rain proof light coat.
- The full and binding cancellation policy appears in the Terms and Conditions document. The above serves for general understanding only!
MOUNT ARBEL FAQ’s
What is the altitude of mount Arbel?
Mount Arbel is 180 m ASL, but it rises very sharply 390 meters from the Sea of Galilee.
Where can I find a hiking map for mount Arbel?
You can download the map here
Is Mount Arbel mentioned in the Bible?
Arbel is mentioned in the Bible in Hosha 10:14 “the roar of battle will rise against your people, so that all your fortresses will be devastated— as Shalman devastated Beth ARBEL on the day of battle, when mothers were dashed to the ground with their children.”
However, there is no proof that it is the exact spot of Mount Arbel.
Did jesus pass on Mount Arbel ?
We don’t know. But many Christians like to visit the Abel summit because it is an amazing view point to the surrounding area where Jesus ministered.
Is it tough to reach mount Arbel Summit ?
If you enter through the national park it’s an easy 10 minutes flat walk. If you choose to hike from the Sea of Galilee is a 3 km hike with 400 m steep ascend.