Ascend to the most iconic view-point over the Sea Of Galilee. On the way up visit the ancient Arbel fortress built inside the rock. On the way down visit the ancient Arbel synagogue and hike down the Arbel Wadi under the cliffs.
|Short versions||N/ A|
|Best||Dec - Apr|
|Possible||Nov - May|
|/ Start Point|
Want to join our Weekly Guided Hike to Mount Arbel?
Important Note: The hike is graded as moderate. However, there are several steep and exposed sections with metal handles and ladders.
- Starting point – parking area at entrance to Hamam village (1).
- start by Following the ‡Red‡ markers (Part of the INT)
- After 400 m, at the junction with a ‡Green‡ marked trail (2)., turn left and continue with the ‡Red‡ markers.
- Climb steadily for 2.4 Km, until you reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marked trail (3).
- Our route continues with ‡Black‡ markers, but before we continue we make a short detour to visit the Arbel Fortress.
The fortification that was carved in to the rocks were built by the Galilean Jews, who barricaded themselves at Arbel in 37 BCE. Herod was sent to suppress the rebellion. His army overcame the rebels only after he had the best of his warriors lowered to the caves in cages suspended by ropes, from which the rebels became convenient targets.
- Walk right, then up the stairs and visit the fortress that is carved into the cliff.
- Retrace your stept back to (3) and continue up with the ‡Black‡ markers (Part of the INT) until the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marker at the top of the mountain. (4)
- Follow the ‡Blue‡ markers for 200 m until you reach the “Mul Kinneret” Lookout in memory of the IDF soldier Roei Dror.
- Retrace your steps to (4) and continue on the ‡Black‡ markers for about 100 m to reach the famous Carob Lookout. The spot is very easy to find. It is under the single lonely Carob tree that can be seen from afar.
- This is probably one of the most photographed views of the Sea of Galilee, and justly so. The perfect spot for an extended break.
- You are now inside the Arbel National Park after you entered it through the back door.
- Continue with the ‡Black‡ markers for 600 m and reach the National Park’s entrance. (5)
- Pay the entrance fee upon exiting, and follow the unmarked paved road for 1.1 Km until you reach a junction with the ‡Green‡ marked trail and a small parking lot (6).
- Turn left on the ‡Green‡ markers and after a few minutes you will reach the ruins of the ancient synagogue.
The beautiful ruins of synagogue dates from 4th century CE. It was built from large limestone blocks in the center of the ancient Arbel village. The synagogue is believed to have continued to be use until the 8th century CE.
- Continue on the ‡Green‡ markers and after a few minutes you will cross a paved road and start to descending to the wadi. Continue for 700 m until you reach the bed of the Arbel Wadi. (7)
- Turn right and continue following the ‡Green‡ markers downstream until you reach the junction with the ‡Red‡ marker (1.3 Km) where we began the route. (2)
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!
Join “Israel by Foot” Expert local Hiking guide for an amazing day in the great outdoors
We will climb gradually from the southern, more gentle side of Mount Arbel. Reach the Summit to enjoy a truly spectacular view off the Sea of Galilee, Golan Heights and Galilee mountains. Then descend via the ancient Arbel fortress and finish the hike at the newly discovered Magdala archaeological site.
|Pickup Locations||1) Afula Train Station
2) Nazareth Marry's Well
3) Tiberias Ceasar Premier Hotel
|Price||79 $ (Discount on 4 or more hikers)|
|Min. Age||13 years. (Minors must be accompanied by an adult)|
|Schedule||Weekly Between November and April. (Check Availability)|
|Included in price||* Transportation To & From the above mentioned pickup locations.
* Expert Hiking Guide.
|Not included in the price||* Food
* 29 NIS Entrance fee to the Arbel National Park
* 15 NIS Entrance fee to the Magdala Archaeological Park
Click map to enlarge
Highlights of the Hike:
- Great views on the Sea of Galilee as we walk on the mountain ridge
- Mount Arbel Summit – The “Lonely Carob” view-point (The iconic view on Lake Kinneret!!)
- Hike down the steep cliff and visit The 1st century BCE Arbel fortifications carved inside the mountain.
- Magdala Archaeological Park. A newly discovered and exciting Archaeological site.
- 08:00 – Pickup from Afula
- 08:20 – Pickup from Nazareth
- 09:10 Pickup form Tiberias
- 09:30 – 14:00 8 Km hike of Mount Arbel
- Around 12:00 – Arbel Summit – Lunch break with the Sea of Galilee underneath us.
- 14:00 End of Hike and 10 minutes transfer to Magdala Archaeological Park.
- 14:30 We start driving back to the pickup locations
What to Bring?
Mandatory (You will not be allowed to join the hike without and will not be refunded):
2 liters of water.
Hiking boots or Sneakers. (We highly recommend hiking boots, but will accept also sneakers).
- Sandals not allowed!
Snacks and Lunch
Dry-fit shirt as a base layer
On rainy days - Rain proof light coat.
The customer may cancel his booking at any time.
Our refund policy is as follows:
Up to 2 weeks prior to the trip: 90% refund.
Up to 48 hours prior to the trip: 75% refund.
Less than 48 hours: Not refundable.
For special cases and circumstances please email and we commit to try and make the largest refund possible!
- The full and binding cancellation policy appears in the Terms and Conditions document. The above serves for general understanding only!