An amazing trail above the backdrop of the Timna Park. A visit to the Timna valley is a common tourist attraction. Our Hike will take you to a remote and amazing trail that traverses along the cliff 500 meters above the valley for an unforgettable vista. The amazing color palate of the valley just below you, with the Edom mountains ridge in the horizon makes this hike one of our favorites in the Eilat mountains range.
|Short versions||N/ A|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
Driving Directions: From the Google-Maps location, Turn to the Green marked dirt road and follow it for 5.9 Km, then turn right to the blue marked dirt road and follow it for additional 3.7 Km until a Junction with a Green marked dirt road. (A detailed driving map is supplied with the download pack). The dirt roads are suitable for any regular car.
- Starting point for the walk: Junction of the ‡Green‡ and ‡Blue‡ dirt roads (1).
- Follow the ‡Green‡ markers along the wide Matak Wadi for 1.9 Km until a junction with an unmarked wadi joining it from the right. (2)
- (Just after the junction with this wadi, the Matak wadi we had been walking in make a sharp 90° left turn. If you reached it, it’s a sign you just missed the turn to the unmarked wadi).
- At first there is nothing special to see. But gradually the wadi narrows and The banks of the gorge are filled with colored sand and rocks, in shades of yellow, brown and white. In between the rocks and on the ground are small white stones, made of phosphorus. This material causes the stones to “twinkle” in sun’s rays.
- Turn right and follow the beautiful unmarked wadi upstream. This small wadi is also filled with colorful sand and rocks. After 600 m you reach the saddle at the end of the wadi and meet a ‡Red‡ marked trail (3).
- All of a sudden you find yourself on the edge of the cliff with the Timna Valley 500 m below you. The view is truly overwhelming and calls for an extended break!
- Turn right and follow the ‡Red‡ markers for 3 Km.
- This amazing trails follows the edge of the cliff with Valley below constantly in sight, most of the way it’s relatively flat, but near the end we climb to the top of mount Berech. The views from the top are even beret!! (4)
- Turn left on the ‡Blue‡ marked dirt roads and walk 1.4 Km back to (1).
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!