Deep desert feeling only 50 Km from Jerusalem. Our hike Starts at Qumran. The site where the Dead-Sea scrolls were written. Climb thorough the Qumran Canyon up to the Dead Sea cliffs and get an amazing vista of Einot Zukim and the Dead Sea.
|Short versions||N / A|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
|/ Start Point|
- Starting point – parking area of Qumran national Park (1). (Entrance fee required)
- Start by visiting the interesting site of Qumran. The ancient settlement of the Essene sect, the writers of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- After you finish the visit, start following the ‡Green‡ markers that start at the back of the site. You will ascend 250 m inside the deep Qumran Wadi. After a distance of 2.7 Km you reach the junction with the ‡Red‡ marked dirt road. (2)
- Turn left on the dirt road and follow the ‡Red‡ markers.
- You are now walking on the plateau of the Judean Desert, 400 m above the Dead sea.
- You will walk a total of about 4 Km on this road until you reach a junction with ‡Black‡ markers (3) .
- This is an easy section with gentle ups and downs and a desert isolation feeling.
- After about 1 Km, you meet a ‡Blue‡ marker going left. This is an optional detour of 300 m to a fine view-point over the dead sea.
- Turn left on the ‡Black‡ markers (3) and follow it for 1.2 Km to an amazing view-point over the northern area of the dead sea and Einot Zukim national Park.
- The perfect sport for an extended break!!
- retrace your steps 150 m to a junction with a ‡Blue‡ marker going left. (4)
- Turn left and follow the ‡Blue‡ markers for about 3 Km until a junction with junction with a ‡Green‡ marker. (5)
- Turn left, and follow the ‡Green‡ markers for about 2 Km descending fairly steeply towards the Dead Sea, until you reach the main road #90.
- From here take the bus back to the starting point (1).
- Bus #444 & #486 run every 30-60 minutes. Link to Google-Maps bus directions.
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!
Watch the story of the Dead Sea scrolls presented by Israel’s top archaeological tour guides, “Danny the Digger”
For a unique private tour of Qumran with “Danny the Digger”, fill out the form.