A very rewarding visit to a lesser known spot. Within a small area you can visit Ancient Yodfat (“Masada of the Galilee”). Hike to the fantastic summit of mount Atzmon. Enjoy a coffee or a meal in a pleasant setting and see wildflowers if you come in the right timing.
- Region – Lower Galilee
1 – Yodfat Shopping Center – (GPS: 32.836803, 35.273807)
2 – Mount Atzmon Short Walk – (GPS: 32.833979, 35.269060)
3 – Ancient Yodfat archeological site – (GPS: 32.833565, 35.277311)
- Picnic spots – On the summit of mount Atzmon or near ancient Yodfat.
- Walking distance:
Ancient Yodfat – 1 Km
Mount Atzmon Round Hike – 4 Km
Mount Atzmon short hike – 2.5 Km
- recommended period: All year.
Best: January – March for many wildflowers and better visibility.
Special: End of August – Mid of September for fields of Quills (Hazab).
General Map of the area
Click the Map to download it in high quality
There are a few options in the area. You can do all or some of them.
- Short tour of ancient Yodfat.
- Hike to the fantastic summit of Mount Atzmon
- Enjoy great Food/Drink options in the small and pleasant Yodfat shopping center.
- If you are with small kinds you can also visit the Monkey Forest in Yodfat.
Ancient Yodfat – “Masda of the Galilee”
During the “Great Revolt” in year 67 CE, Yodfat was the last stronghold of Jewish resistance after the fall of Zippori. 3 Roan legions besieged Yodfat, meeting strong Jewish resistance. After 47 days the city fell. The toll was the death of 40,000 Jews and the enslavement of 1,200 women and children. A few dozen remaining fighters committed suicide, hence the nickname “Masada of the Galilee”.
Further Reading in Wikipedia: Siege of Yodfat / Yodfat (General)
The tour of the site start from Parking #1. It is about 1 Km long round and clearly marked path . Along the path, there are many information boards that tell the story of the place and explain about the archeological findings in the area.
Special treat: During September, the hills around Tel-Yodfat are filled with thousand of Squills (Hazav flowers).
Hike to Mount Atzmon Summit
Mount Atzmon is a modest peak of only 547 ASL. However it is an impressive view-point with a feeling of a much higher mountain!!
You have two hiking options:
- For the easier one leave your car at Parking #2. From there it’s a 1.3 Km long walk with an ascent of 130 meters to the summit. Return the same way. (Total 2.6 Km)
- For a slightly tougher route, leave your car at Parking #1. From there It’s a 4 Km round trip with an ascent of 220 meters.
Yodfat shopping center
A great way to finish the trip is a visit to the Yodfat local “shopping center”. (Parking #3).
A very nice and tasty selection of small boutique shops and dining/drinking options from locals.